Tuesday, September 26, 2017

A Recovery Day

After all the hectic coming and going we needed a recovery day.



We slept in mightily then, as Nancy went to nail down a table at one of our favorite places in the piazza, I went to drop off my laundry, the view from which is above; better than from your launderette I bet. I then went back up the street to the piazza to meet Nancy only to find the restaurant closed and Nancy nowhere to be seen. It turns out that the restaurant was being used as a film set which is interesting and all but where's Nancy? While I was doing the "two steps right and peer, two steps left and peer" routine I was tapped on the shoulder by one of the English-free waitresses and led down the side of the outside seating to where Nancy was to be found. They had preserved this vestige of the restaurant and were serving through the window.

So we did that for a bit then I left Nancy there and went to get an overdue haircut. Italian barbers are the best. Period. No "buzzers" for them, entirely scissors and razor. Expensive but it included a (after the haircut, hmmm) shampoo (leaving my head wet for the razor), and eyebrow trim, a mustache trim, and (I'm getting to that age) an ear trim.

And back to the piazza where we had another cafe, paid up, and went for a gelato.


From there we strolled up and found a street with interesting shops. There was a guy that does intarsia in stone (like marquetry or a form of mosaic), textiles, and an interesting high quality junk shop where Nancy spotted the Ganesha above. She has a special devotion to Ganesha as, in some obscure sense, do I and it was still birthday season so I got it for her. The whole thing is about ten inches high.

And then a stroll back through the streets of "upper" Monti and, not surprisingly, another cafe. Then, after this exhausting regimen, it was time for a siesta.


Dinner out at a new place, near the Ganesha store. Quite good on the whole. And home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polite comments and suggestions are always welcome.