Sunday, September 17, 2017

Piazza Navona, Campo de' Fiori, and What Else?

Around noonish I set out for a stroll.


I had my first fully successful bus experience by which I mean that it both started and ended at expected places with nothing untoward in between. My destination for this momentous event was Piazza Navona.




Needless to say immediately upon arriving I fortified myself with a gelato while surveying my environs.

The picture at the top shows the big three of the piazza, the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone, the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, and its obelisk. However at either end of the piazza are smaller fountains. I liked the one above with Neptune (?) fighting off a giant squid or octopus. This is all pretty thickly touristed.






The Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Four Rivers Fountain, represents the Nile, Ganges, Danube, and Plata; works by Bernini.



The church of Sant'Agnese is intensely, overwhelmingly baroque; not really to my taste. However I did spend a bit of time in appreciation and then in meditation.


Thence it was a not very long walk along typically narrow streets to the Piazza Campo de' Fiori. This is apparently permanently in mertcato mode. If you look hard you can see a rather fine statue of Giordano Bruno (whom I had never heard of and had to look up to identify) in the center. The shops themselves ranged from the useful (fruits and vegetables, olive oil, housewares, etc.) to tourist crapola as you might expect.


And then another nice walk where I popped out at Piazza Benedetto Cairoli. This was our tram stop the other day when visiting the Ghetto. I sat for a bit in the pleasant park and then caught the tram into Trastevere where I wandered and coffee'd for a bit.

And then home.

This evening Nancy went to a long, one and a half hours, meeting while I sat and recovered. I then went to meet her and we returned and had dinner at a familiar place. The owner had been so helpful and pleasant in our previous visits that Nancy gave her her choice of a prayer bag. She and her daughter were overwhelmed. Truly a special moment.

1 comment:

  1. Good pics - looks like you are enjoying nice weather as well...

    ReplyDelete

Polite comments and suggestions are always welcome.