Monday, September 11, 2017

Trastevere, Dentist, and Who Knows What Else

Being obsessed with the hurricane bearing down on our homes both Nancy and I got up during the night and checked on how it was going.  As it turns out the storm lost strength and was "only" a Category 1 before it reached Bradenton, still a pretty stout blow.  However as of now, 4pm in Rome and  10am in Florida, we have heard nothing to indicate any storm related problems.

Where I started with that however is that having gotten up during the night we slept in mightily and by the time we managed to stagger out it was noon. As noted earlier I'm considering a move here and wanted to check out the neighborhood of an apartment. Nancy had no interest in this so we parted, she to return to the apartment in Monti to read, me to go on to Trastevere.

Down the street in Monti

Nice view rounding the bend
Trastevere where we were earlier is an artsy district.

A photo that captures none of the charm of the street

There's a park at the end of the street, again more charming than this photo captures.

The end of a 9th to 19th century church et al.

A neighborhood grocery

A small restaurant specializing in "to go" entrees; little English spoken.

A small butcher-type shop for which I forget the Italian
All I had was the street that the apartment is on but as it is only three to five blocks long, depending on how you look at it, I figured I could get a good sense of the environment.  In brief, it's everything you might want in a (semi-affordable) neighborhood in Rome. It's off the tourist trail yet still readily accessible to transport.  There are lots of amenities on the street as noted in pictures above including an art supply store. That there is a park with children's things (swings, things to climb on) implies that its a safe neighborhood for children. Anyhow the landlady Paola agree to make the call for me so I gave her the go-ahead and sent an email in English myself.  We'll see what happens.




The reverse of the street scene at the top
And then back again on the tram to Piazza Venezia taking new photos of the forums on the walk from there.

Back at the "home" piazza in Monti I've gotten the WiFi password from all the restaurants so I was able to sit by the fountain and text Nancy to come down and join me which she did; gelato ensued. And then a brief break and off to the dentist where Nancy was very pleased with the outcome, both with the dentistry and the cost.

A mosaic encrusted scooter in a shop window 



And after that a brief walk down and around the Colosseum, catching the Metro there back to home territory. Rather than head back to the apartment we strolled the area a bit and then ended up at one of our favorite restaurants for a good  meal and a chat with the English couple beside us.

After this we both had a few emails to answer.  We've gotten more updates on the Florida situation throughout the day all of which was good.  We were very fortunate. Although now reduced to "merely" a tropical storm, Irma is now headed towards Atlanta.  I wish all my friends there the best.



Something I've been meaning to note and keep forgetting as it doesn't particularly fit into the "narrative".  I've been walking with my cane due to a mildly arthritic hip. Universally, like every time I've ridden the Metro someone has offered me their seat, usually a young woman. I could go on and try to make some sort of point about this but I think that it speaks for itself.

2 comments:

  1. Get a Vespa but not one festooned with mosaics. If you move there expect objectionable guests.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am foolish enough to (a) move to Rome and (b) then get a vehicle it would probably be a Piaggio Ape 50 Van.

      Delete

Polite comments and suggestions are always welcome.